What is a FedEx Clearance Delay?
In particular, what is a FedEx Clearance Delay in Canada? I am experiencing a clearance delay in relation to my iPhone shipment. I`m assuming I would be having the same problem with an iPad as well.
Here is a copy of what I am seeing on my FedEx Shipment Tracking Page
All shipment travel activity is displayed in local time for the location
|Dec 24, 2011 1:31 AM||Clearance delay||MISSISSAUGA, ON|
|Dec 23, 2011 12:45 PM||In transit||MISSISSAUGA, ON|
|Dec 23, 2011 8:00 AM||Clearance in progress||MISSISSAUGA, ON||Paperwork available for non-FedEx broker|
|Dec 23, 2011 8:00 AM||In transit||MISSISSAUGA, ON|
|Dec 23, 2011 7:02 AM||At destination sort facility||MISSISSAUGA, ON||Package available for clearance|
|Dec 23, 2011 2:39 AM||In transit||MEMPHIS, TN|
|Dec 23, 2011 2:05 AM||Departed FedEx location||MEMPHIS, TN|
|Dec 22, 2011 10:35 PM||Arrived at FedEx location||MEMPHIS, TN|
|Dec 22, 2011 9:42 PM||In transit||LANTAU ISLAND HK|
|Dec 22, 2011 4:29 PM||In transit||LANTAU ISLAND HK|
|Dec 22, 2011 2:32 PM||Left FedEx origin facility||SHENZHEN CN|
|Dec 21, 2011 7:17 PM||Shipment information sent to FedEx|
|Dec 22, 2011 6:28 AM||Picked up||SHENZHEN CN|
- A FedEx clearance delay usually occurs when a package or shipment is held by the customs department for examination and assessment. If you check the tracking status, you will see ‘paperwork available for a non-FedEx broker’ indicated.
- This shipment update is common for imports from overseas, and for customers who have not chosen FedEx as their customs broker. The simple explanation is that your package is awaiting customs clearance.
- All shipments crossing international borders must be cleared through Customs in the destination country before delivery to the recipient. The clearance involves inspection of the shipment to ensure that all taxable goods are taxed. Sometimes shipments are held back because of missing documentation.
- In your case, you may not have chosen FedEx as your customs broker. Though customs clearance is included with every FedEx international shipment, the customers have the option to choose their own broker. This means that when the package reaches the clearance stage your broker has to be contacted to provide the necessary documentation – hence the message ‘paperwork available for non-FedEx broker’. The slight delay is therefore not FedEx’s fault.
- Be patient- once your broker hands over the documentation, your package will be cleared.
- Next time, use a FedEx broker to clear your items – it is much faster than using other companies. You also will not have to see the ‘paperwork available for non-FedEx broker’ message again.
- Thanks much for your advice – package arrived safely, no duty or tariffs, it was just as you said – a standard delay.