- More and more people are in need of tooth replacement, due to injuries, decay, and other factors. Having a missing tooth affects teeth alignment within the mouth, making the individual feel conscious, lose confidence, and unable to smile. As such, tooth replacement in Kenya is now a booming business.
First, what are the tooth replacement options available?
- Dental implants
- Fixed bridges
- Removable partial dentures
The most common and resilient of the options above is the dental implant. What is a dental implant?
- A dental implant is a desirable alternative to a missing tooth. It has a prosthetic root made of titanium that replaces the normal root of a tooth. It is placed in the space where there is a missing tooth and does not interfere with the teeth next to it. Each implant can support one or two false teeth, crowns and bridges without causing discomfort to the individual.
- Note that when considering tooth replacement in Kenya, it is crucial that you find a dentist or dental unit that specializes in prosthodontics (replacement of missing teeth) and orthodontics (alignment of crooked teeth) so that the job is done to your satisfaction. Also, note that the process will take a while – between six weeks and six months to complete.
Your dentist may suggest the dental implant as your tooth replacement option, if:
- You have lost a tooth or teeth, and you desire a permanent replacement
- You prefer a non-removable denture with durable support
- You want to support a bridge without affecting your other teeth
How is a dental implant fitted?
- First, a thorough evaluation of the mouth is done, to ensure that the bone density can support an implant
- Next, a thin rod (the implant) is placed under the gum at the point where the missing tooth was. The rod, made of titanium, will fuse itself to the jaw over a four-month period.
- During these four months, a temporary crown is placed above the rod, to keep it clean and free from infection.
- Once the fusion is complete, a permanent crown is attached over the gum. The dentist makes a custom-made porcelain dental crown to cover the rod (implant). He or she fixes this crown over the rod and then tints it with a color that blends with the other teeth in the mouth.
- After the crown is placed in position, the procedure is complete. The new tooth looks and feels natural, worthy of a big smile!
- Dental implants are permanent and dependable.
- They are similar to a natural tooth in look and feel.
- They contribute to proper teeth alignment by closing gaps in the teeth.
- One does not have to keep removing and cleaning them.
- Dental implants prevent shrinkage of the jawbone that usually results from tooth loss.
- There are no dietary restrictions for people who have dental implants, as the implant provides a stable foundation for your teeth.
- Dental implants are the most comfortable option for tooth replacement.
- A dental implant improves the smile and helps restore confidence in the individual.
Out of the three options available for tooth replacement in Kenya, dental implants are the most comfortable and long-lasting. This procedure is readily available in private dental clinics, as well as dental units at government and mission hospitals. Though the cost may be considerably higher than other options, the results are worth every shilling.